Kölner Aqua size (Application milk) is a water-based gilding adhesive for indoor only. The Kolner Aqua Size is only suitable for metal leafs that are thicker than the genuine gold leaf such as imitation gold, silver, copper, variegated and colored leafs.
Coverage: about 150ml per m².
How to apply the Aqua Size:
- The surface must be dust-free and, if possible, non-absorbent.
- Apply the size with a soft and smooth size brush.
- Wait for about 15 minutes till the size becomes sticky, not wet and not dry.
- You now have up to 60 hours to gild before the size becomes dry. (the room temperature, humidity and the gilding surface affect the drying time.)
- When gilding with imitation metal leaf, it is best to use Gilder’s Gloves to avoid leaving finger prints on the metal leafs, as these finger prints will show up later on after you finish gilding.
- To apply the metal leafs onto the surface without scratching the metal leafs, use either Gilder’s Gloves or Wool Brush.
The Aqua Size is water-based and must therefore be protected against frost. It cannot be shipped at temperatures below 0 ° C.
For gilding on glass, metal and plastic use The Kölner Permacoll HA product is the same in the application of the Aqua size, only further developed and enables a higher quality result on these types of surfaces.