Gilder’s clay—also known as bole—is a clay-like substance. It serves as a base layer for the gold leaf. It is applied to the prepared surface, which is usually Gesso. Gesso is a mixture of chalk and glue. The gilder’s clay layer and the underlying layer of Gesso create a layer that permits the polishing of gold with agate burnishers. Gilder’s clay gilding can only be used on absorbing surfaces.
How to prepare Nazionale Gilders Clay:
- Although it has been already processed with RSG, we still recommend adding some Rabbit Skin Glue before use.
- Add four parts of this clay and one part rabbit Skin Glue (liquid form) depends on how thick or thin you want your clay to be.
- The rabbit skin glue must be warm when adding it to the gilder’s clay. Mix gently not to create air bubbles and until the texture is consistent, runny and smooth.
- For best results, apply two to three thin coats of this clay onto a perfectly smooth surface, such as Gesso.
- After the gilder’s clay has dried, polish the surface with the Steel Wool Pad or with the Fiber Clouth to a perfect state. Your gilder’s clay at this point must look clean, shiny, smooth and free from dust.
- Prepare the gold leaf water using the rabbit skin glue tablet or use a pre-made Kolner Colnafix Gilder’s Size. This mixture will make the clay surface a little wet for the gold leaf to stick.
- Apply the gold leaf, and let it dry for at least 5 hours.
- Your gilded surface is now ready to be burnished with the Agate Burnisher Stone.
- Buff any gold flakes that sits on the surface with the Gilder’s Wool Brush.
- Normally, 24k gold leaf does not need to be varnished to protect it from oxidization. However, for less than 24k, use Kolner Leaf Protect Varnish to seal the surface.
Shipping within New Zealand:
Urban from $5.95 | Rural from $9.99 | Overnight from $11.95 | Saturday delivery from $14.95 | Freight $75 | Same day Auckland region $90
- All orders are processed daily and shipped via Track and Trace.
- Overnight delivery, usually 1-2 business days.
- Urban and Rural deliveries about five business days.
- All orders are packaged securely.
- Special shipping requirement is acceptable by prior arraignment.
- Freight shipping is a flat rate regardless of size and weight. Use this option if you see your shipping exceeded $75.
- Add to Cart all the products you want to buy and then go to checkout. Enter your address, and choose shipping by weight.
- All orders are packaged nicely and securely.
Wholesale prices, up to 70% off the RRP:
- Save Money Every time you buy from us.
- Get up to 70% discount every time.
- Use your Gold Coupon every time you purchase on our website.
- No minimum and no maximum spent.
- Your Gold Coupon is always active, with no expiration. Simply enter your coupon at checkout to get the discount.
- Valid on all products, storewide.
- Your discount percentage will be based on your total spending on Gold Leaf NZ and not on one single order.
- Coupons do not apply to on-sale products.
- You will get your Gold Coupon on your first order.
High-Quality Customer Service:
- We guarantee the quality of every product you buy from us.
- We package all orders securely and nicely.
- We inspect every product before we ship it to you so that you do not get disappointed.
- All orders are processed daily and delivered to you within 20 days via NZ Post, UPS, FedEx or DHL.
- You can pay by direct credit, Visa/Paypal or Western Union.
- We have no objection to how you use our products, resell them, or use them for yourself or your customers.
- Superfast communication, email us, call us or text us at any time.
- We look forward to you joining us for a long and prosperous business relationship.
If you have any questions, then please email us.