Gilder’s Whiting is a high quality fine white powder, soluble in water and odorless. To make a gesso for water gilding, you will need Whiting (Calcium Carbonate) and Rabit Skin Glue.
You will need to apply about eight coats before you can start gilding. Suitable for all kinds of surfaces, including wood, concrete, plaster, hardwood, and boards.
How to make gesso for water gilding
- To make gesso ready for application, you need some Rabbit Skin Glue to mix with the Gilder’s Whiting. The Gilder’s Whiting has to be sieved to ensure that it does not contain any lumps or impurities. When adding the Gilder’s Whiting, the rabbit skin glue must be at about 40-50 degrees. Place a spoon of Gilder’s Whiting at a time inside the sieve gently.
- There is no proper ratio of Gilder’s Whiting to rabbit skin glue, but you should stop adding Gilder’s Whiting as soon as the Gilder’s Whiting is no longer incorporated with the rabbit skin glue anymore.
- Now stir the mix gently until you see the rabbit skin glue has the same consistency as before. Please do not shake it, as this will create air bubbles in your mix.
- Always apply the gesso when it is warm, not hot and not cold. Any leftover can be stored in the fridge for use later on.
Gesso Making Tip: The best way to make or to reheat gesso is by putting the rabbit skin glue in a glass jar and placing the jar in a pote that has hot water in it. Keep the pot on a hot element from when you start making the gesso right to finishing application.
There is also a ready-made gesso/clay called KGGG-System Fond:
KGGG-System Fond Gilder’s Gesso/Bole is a one-layer gilder clay that replaces the traditional gilding system’s Gesso and Bole layers. Fond is a water-based burnishable gesso primer for water golding. Fond in suited for creating water gilded and burnished frames, interior architectural elements, and furniture ornaments to achieve a traditional look for less effort.
Shipping within New Zealand:
Urban from $5.95 | Rural from $11.75 | Overnight from $9.75 | Saturday delivery from $29.75 | Freight $75
- All orders are processed daily and shipped via Track and Trace.
- Overnight delivery, usually 1-2 business days. High volume of parcel delivery is a cross NZ, and a delay is expected these days, we take no responsibility for not receiving your order on time.
- Urban and Rural deliveries about five business days.
- All orders are packaged securely.
- Special shipping requirement is acceptable by prior arraignment.
- Freight shipping is a flat rate regardless of size and weight. Use this option if you see your shipping exceeded $75.
- Add to Cart all the products you want to buy and then go to checkout. Enter your address, and choose shipping by weight.
- All orders are packaged nicely and securely.
Wholesale prices, up to 70% off the RRP:
- Save Money Every time you buy from us.
- Get up to 70% discount every time.
- Use your Gold Coupon every time you purchase on our website.
- No minimum and no maximum spent.
- Your Gold Coupon is always active, with no expiration. Simply enter your coupon at checkout to get the discount.
- Valid on all products, storewide.
- Your discount percentage will be based on your total spending on Gold Leaf NZ and not on one single order.
- Coupons do not apply to on-sale products.
- You will get your Gold Coupon on your first order.
High-Quality Customer Service:
- We guarantee the quality of every product you buy from us.
- We package all orders securely and nicely.
- We inspect every product before we ship it to you so that you do not get disappointed.
- All orders are processed daily and delivered to you within 20 days via NZ Post, UPS, FedEx or DHL.
- You can pay by direct credit, Visa/Paypal or Western Union.
- We have no objection to how you use our products, resell them, or use them for yourself or your customers.
- Superfast communication, email us, call us or text us at any time.
- We look forward to you joining us for a long and prosperous business relationship.
If you have any questions, then please email us.