Lefranc Gilder’s Clay Base—also known as bole—is a clay-like substance. It is applied to the prepared surface, which is usually Gesso. Gesso is a mixture of chalk and Glue. The gilder’s clay layer and the underlying layer of Gesso create a suitable layer that allows the polishing of gold leaf with the Agate Burnisher Stone.
One must know that the gilder’s clay base can only be used on absorbing surfaces.
How to prepare Lefranc Gilder’s Clay Base:
- Before using Lefranc gilder’s clay base, it has to be prepared with rabbit skin glue before it can be applied. This clay is already processed with water to a paste, but you need to add some Rabbit Skin Glue to it first.
- Normally, one part gilder’s clay and two parts rabbit Skin Glue (liquid form) depends on how thick or thin you want your clay to be.
- The rabbit skin glue must be warm when adding it to the gilder’s clay. Mix gently not to create air bubbles and until the texture is consistent, runny and smooth.
- For best results, apply two to three thin coats of this clay onto a perfectly smooth surface, such as Gesso.
- After the clay has dried, polish the clay with the Steel Wool Pad or with the Fiber Clouth to a perfect state. Your clay at this point must look clean, shiny, smooth and free from dust.
- Prepare the gold leaf water using the rabbit skin glue tablet or use a pre-made Kolner Colnafix Gilder’s Size. This mixture will make the clay surface a little wet for the gold leaf to stick.
- Apply the gold leaf, and let it dry for at least 5 hours.
- Your gilded surface is now ready to be burnished with the Agate Burnisher Stone.
- Buff any gold flakes that sits on the surface with the Gilder’s Wool Brush.
- Normally, 24k gold leaf does not need to be varnished to protect it from oxidization. However, for less than 24k, use Kolner Leaf Protect Varnish to seal the surface.
Choosing a gilding size
The Instacoll Gilding Size gloss (the mat is for indoor only) is for porous and non-porous surfaces, interior & exterior when gilding with genuine gold leaf.
1. Gilding size for imitation gold, silver, copper, variegated on wood, paper, concrete, and stone, use any of these:
For gilding on glass, plastic and metal use: Permacoll Gilding Size For All Metal Leafs And Gold Powder, indoor only.
2. Gilding size for genuine gold & silver leaf
3. Interior / Exterior gilding
Recommended reading: Choosing The Right Gilding Adhesive or Gilding Size
Shipping within New Zealand:
Urban $4.75 | Rural $11.75 | Overnight $9.75 | Saturday delivery $29.75 | Freight $75
- Orders are processed daily and shipped via Track and Trace.
- STD and Rural delivered within 3-5 business days.
- All orders are packaged securely.
- Special shipping requirement is acceptable by prior arraignment.
- Freight shipping is a flat rate ($75) regardless of size and weight. Select this option if you see your shipping exceeded $75.
- Add to Cart all the products you want to buy and then go to checkout. Enter your address, and choose shipping by weight.
- All orders are packaged nicely and securely.
Wholesale prices, up to 70% off the RRP:
- Save Money Every time you buy from us.
- Get up to 70% discount every time.
- Use your Gold Coupon every time you purchase on our website.
- No minimum and no maximum spent.
- Your Gold Coupon is always active, no expiration. Simply enter your coupon at checkout to get the discount.
- Valid on all products, storewide.
- Your discount percentage will be based on your total spending on Gold Leaf NZ and not on one single order.
- Coupons do not apply to on-sale products.
- You will get your Gold Coupon on your first order.
High Quality Customer Service:
- We guarantee the quality of every product you buy from us.
- We package all orders securely and nicely.
- We inspect every product before we ship to you so that you do not get disappointed.
- All orders are processed daily, and delivered to you within 20 days via Fedex or DHL Exprerss.
- You can pay by direct credit, Visa/Paypal or Western Union.
- We have no objection as to how you use our products, resell it, use it for yourself or your customers.
- Super fast communication, email us, call us or text us at anytime.
- We look forward to you joining us for a longe and successful business relationship.
How to order:
- Either email us directly with what you want, or
- Click on the “Enquire” tab, which, is next to the product’s “Description” tab and fill in the form there.
- Alternatively, go to the products that you want to buy, add to cart, at check out enter your delivery address, select payment method and continue.
- At this point, we both received a copy of the order.
- We will contact you with the actual delivery date, and process your order immediately.
If you have any question, then please email us.