Gilder’s clay—also known as bole—is a clay-like substance. It serves as a base layer for the gold leaf. It is applied to the prepared surface, which is usually Gesso. Gesso is a mixture of chalk and glue. The gilder’s clay layer and the underlying layer of Gesso create a layer that permits the polishing of gold with agate burnishers. Gilder’s clay gilding can only be used on absorbing surfaces.
How to prepare Nazionale Gilders Clay:
- Although it has been already processed with RSG, we still recommend adding some Rabbit Skin Glue before use.
- Add four parts of this clay and one part rabbit Skin Glue (liquid form) depends on how thick or thin you want your clay to be.
- The rabbit skin glue must be warm when adding it to the gilder’s clay. Mix gently not to create air bubbles and until the texture is consistent, runny and smooth.
- For best results, apply two to three thin coats of this clay onto a perfectly smooth surface, such as Gesso.
- After the gilder’s clay has dried, polish the surface with the Steel Wool Pad or with the Fiber Clouth to a perfect state. Your gilder’s clay at this point must look clean, shiny, smooth and free from dust.
- Prepare the gold leaf water using the rabbit skin glue tablet or use a pre-made Kolner Colnafix Gilder’s Size. This mixture will make the clay surface a little wet for the gold leaf to stick.
- Apply the gold leaf, and let it dry for at least 5 hours.
- Your gilded surface is now ready to be burnished with the Agate Burnisher Stone.
- Buff any gold flakes that sits on the surface with the Gilder’s Wool Brush.
- Normally, 24k gold leaf does not need to be varnished to protect it from oxidization. However, for less than 24k, use Kolner Leaf Protect Varnish to seal the surface.
[contact-form-7 id=”8324″ title=”ask about this product”]
Shipping within New Zealand:
Urban from $5.95 | Rural from $9.99 | Overnight from $11.95 | Saturday delivery from $14.95 | Freight $75 | Same day Auckland region $90
- All orders are processed daily and shipped via Track and Trace.
- Overnight delivery, usually 1-2 business days.
- Urban and Rural deliveries about five business days.
- All orders are packaged securely.
- Special shipping requirement is acceptable by prior arraignment.
- Freight shipping is a flat rate regardless of size and weight. Use this option if you see your shipping exceeded $75.
- Add to Cart all the products you want to buy and then go to checkout. Enter your address, and choose shipping by weight.
- All orders are packaged nicely and securely.
Wholesale prices, up to 70% off the RRP:
- Save Money Every time you buy from us.
- Get up to 70% discount every time.
- Use your Gold Coupon every time you purchase on our website.
- No minimum and no maximum spent.
- Your Gold Coupon is always active, with no expiration. Simply enter your coupon at checkout to get the discount.
- Valid on all products, storewide.
- Your discount percentage will be based on your total spending on Gold Leaf NZ and not on one single order.
- Coupons do not apply to on-sale products.
- You will get your Gold Coupon on your first order.
High-Quality Customer Service:
- We guarantee the quality of every product you buy from us.
- We package all orders securely and nicely.
- We inspect every product before we ship it to you so that you do not get disappointed.
- All orders are processed daily and delivered to you within 20 days via NZ Post, UPS, FedEx or DHL.
- You can pay by direct credit, Visa/Paypal or Western Union.
- We have no objection to how you use our products, resell them, or use them for yourself or your customers.
- Superfast communication, email us, call us or text us at any time.
- We look forward to you joining us for a long and prosperous business relationship.
If you have any questions, then please email us.