Instacoll System consists of 2 components: Component 1 is the Base and Component 2 is the Activator. Instacoll Matt is a gilding size (adhesive) for all types of metal leafs but for indoor only. The size is applied with a synthetic brush. After the size (base layer) has dried—which can last up to 1 hour—it is possible to gild for 1 hour without using the Activator. For a longer-lasting or later gilding if you are gilding a large object, the surface can be reactivated with the Instacoll Activator.
Instacoll colour variation
You can use any colour regardless of what you are gilding; however, the variation in colour provides a smaller finish effect:
- Instacoll Grey is specially developed for the processing of silver and palladium leaves.
- Instacoll Yellow size works with gold leafs to give that bright and shiny finish
- Instacoll Clear size has no effects on the finish.
- Instacoll Red is for achieving warm antique gilded work when gilding with gold and silver leaf.
Preparing the surface
1- The surface must be dry, free from dust and grease. Surfaces must be machined in such a way that they are also weather-resistant without gilding.
- Gilding Wood: For untreated wood, a suitable wood primer must be used first.
- Gilding stone or plaster: apply one coat of a diluted mix of 9 parts Instacoll Base to 1 part water. Allow about 40 minutes to dry, now apply a normal coat of Instacoll Base Size.
- Gilding Metal: This is a delicate gilding job. Before applying Instacoll, the surface must be well prepared to protect the metal leaf and to avoid corrosion. Use a suitable metal primer and apply two coats. If your metal is in outdoor, it is best to apply two coats of suitable high-gloss paint. Never apply Instacoll Base on powder coating use always a primer.
- Gilding glass: You can use Instacoll Base Size on glass, but this can only be done for interior.
2- Apply Instacoll size one or two layers to cover the surface well.
3- Let Instacoll dry completely (1h) if you are using Transfer Gold Leaf which is best when gilding without the gesso application, however, if you are using Loose Gold Leaf then you need to apply the gold leaf while the Instacoll is still wet.
4- Apply the Activator with a Gilder’s Brush For Size Application and let it dry (5-10 min).
5- Firmly press down the gold leaves and rub with cotton over the transfer paper or use Gilder’s Soft Wool Brush For Transfer Leaf Application to press down the gold leaf.
6- Peel off the transfer paper, gently press down the gold leaf with the Instacoll Tissue once more and brush off the redundant gold. Burnish the gold with the Instacoll Tissue carefully.
7- Gilding time is unlimited, so if you are gilding a large project, you can re-use the Activator to reactivate the Instacoll adhesive and carryon gilding, even months later.
8- The gilded product can immediately be exposed to not too extreme weather conditions.
High performance Interior and Exterior Gilding with Instacoll System.
How to gild with the Instacoll System Base Size and the Activator
Choosing a gilding size
The Instacoll Gilding Size gloss (the mat is for indoor only) is for porous and non-porous surfaces, interior & exterior when gilding with genuine gold leaf.
1. Gilding size for imitation gold, silver, copper, variegated on wood, paper, concrete, and stone, use any of these:
For gilding on glass, plastic and metal use: Permacoll Gilding Size For All Metal Leafs And Gold Powder, indoor only.
2. Gilding size for genuine gold & silver leaf
3. Interior / Exterior gilding
Recommended reading: Choosing The Right Gilding Adhesive or Gilding Size
Shipping within New Zealand:
Urban $4.75 | Rural $11.75 | Overnight $9.75 | Saturday delivery $29.75 | Freight $75
- Orders are processed daily and shipped via Track and Trace.
- STD and Rural delivered within 3-5 business days.
- All orders are packaged securely.
- Special shipping requirement is acceptable by prior arraignment.
- Freight shipping is a flat rate ($75) regardless of size and weight. Select this option if you see your shipping exceeded $75.
- Add to Cart all the products you want to buy and then go to checkout. Enter your address, and choose shipping by weight.
- All orders are packaged nicely and securely.
Wholesale prices, up to 70% off the RRP:
- Save Money Every time you buy from us.
- Get up to 70% discount every time.
- Use your Gold Coupon every time you purchase on our website.
- No minimum and no maximum spent.
- Your Gold Coupon is always active, no expiration. Simply enter your coupon at checkout to get the discount.
- Valid on all products, storewide.
- Your discount percentage will be based on your total spending on Gold Leaf NZ and not on one single order.
- Coupons do not apply to on-sale products.
- You will get your Gold Coupon on your first order.
High Quality Customer Service:
- We guarantee the quality of every product you buy from us.
- We package all orders securely and nicely.
- We inspect every product before we ship to you so that you do not get disappointed.
- All orders are processed daily, and delivered to you within 20 days via Fedex or DHL Exprerss.
- You can pay by direct credit, Visa/Paypal or Western Union.
- We have no objection as to how you use our products, resell it, use it for yourself or your customers.
- Super fast communication, email us, call us or text us at anytime.
- We look forward to you joining us for a longe and successful business relationship.
How to order:
- Either email us directly with what you want, or
- Click on the “Enquire” tab, which, is next to the product’s “Description” tab and fill in the form there.
- Alternatively, go to the products that you want to buy, add to cart, at check out enter your delivery address, select payment method and continue.
- At this point, we both received a copy of the order.
- We will contact you with the actual delivery date, and process your order immediately.
If you have any question, then please email us.