The advantage of modern water gilding method developed by Kolner (KGGG System Fond) over the Traditional Water Gilding Technique is the less time and effort you spend in gilding. In few hours only you will be able to achieve a high gloss mirror finish gilding, instead of days when using the traditional gilding technique.
The Kölner KGGG system consists of three components: Component 1 is impregnation agent (Sealer P, Sealer 123A), Component 2 is burnishing clay (Fond) and Component 3 is a size for water gilding (Colnasol). The components are water dilutable and applied without warming. Thereby you safe time and get a good adhesive between the different layers.
You can gild with KGGG Fond and decorate picture frames, valuable objects and furniture to a high quality standard in a very short time. You can also take the Modern Gilding Workshop, which will allow you to decide on what method of gilding is best for each project.
High Gloss Water Gilding Workshop Outline:
- Introduction to gilding tools.
- Introduction to genuine gold, silver, and copper leafs.
- Introduction to composition (imitation) leafs such as gold, silver, copper, variegated and coloured.
- Using the KGGG-System Sealer 123a. The impregnation agent to seal an absorbing surface.
- Using Kölner Fond, one-layer gilders clay, which replaces the Gesso and bole/poliment layers of the traditional system.
- How to prepare and use the Component 3: Colnasol concentrated composition of Rabbit Skin Glue.
- How to gild with genuine gold leaf.
- Burnishing and finishing the gilded surface.
- Protecting the gold leaf using a varnish without loosing the metallic finish of gold.
Need to know:
— No previous gilding experience is required.
— All the tools and materials covered in the workshop will be provided for you to use during the workshop.
— By the end of the course, you will no doubt be able to gild on your own.
— No refund and no reschedule once your placed is booked.
— Free onsite parking.
— Free coffee, tea and light snacks available.
— The workshop will be held at Gold Leaf NZ in Hamilton. The address will be emailed to you.
— No bystanders, everyone comes must have paid the fee.
— You can also request to come to you, and teach you at your home/work. This is by a prior arrangement and incurs an extra fee and travel expenses.
Other dates & times are available by prior arrangement. please contact us.
You need the following gilding tools:
- Agate Stone Burnisher
- Gilder’s Pad
- Gilder’s Knife
- Gilder’s Tip
- Brush for Bole application
- Brush for removing the gold leaf excess