Kölner Permacoll Size is a permanent contact adhesive gilding size for metal leaf. Permacoll – Size offers far more flexibility than oil sizes with their long drying times and short working times. Permacoll – Size dries within 15 to 30 minutes, depending upon thickness and remaining pourosity of surface. Metal leaf can be applied hours or even days later.
This product is designed for the attainment of decorative metallic surfaces that are not exposed to the weather or excessive wear. It is not burnishable. Permacoll – Size is recommended as an adhesive for metal leaf on all types of non-porous surfaces, smooth or textured. Uses include the preparation of frames, the decoration of sets for theater, film, and window displays as well as architectural ornaments.
Porous surfaces: such as plaster, stucco, wood and wood composites should first be impregnated with Kolner Sealer 123-A-, thinned 1 : 0,5 or 1 : 1 with water or Kolner Einlaßgrund -P. After the sealant is dry apply Permacoll – Size, unthinned, with a soft brush.
Non-porous: or slightly porous surfaces that are dust and grease free, such as painted or laquered wood or plastics, can be covered immediately with Permacoll – Size. Should Permacoll tend to bead up, as may occur on some plastics, a drop of liquid detergent added to the size will generally alleviate the problem.
After the surface has dried – recognizable by a uniform sheeen and saturated (darkened) appearence of the substrate – any type of metal leaf can be applied. Areas that appear mat or dull after drying should receive a second coat of Permacoll – Size before proceeding. Once metal leaf has been applied in the usual way the surface should be rubbed lightly with cotton (be careful with genuine gold leaf !).
Summerized instruction for “cracking effects” with Permacoll – Size:
- Apply Permacoll – Size with soft brush not too thin in one direction.
- After drying apply patent gold leaf or -silver leaf and rub metal surface with a ball of cotton in one direction.
- Brush on a solution of yellow dextrine, 50% in water above metal surface. Add a drop of liquid detergent to dextrine solution to prevent beading ups.
- Dextrine layer starts to crackle after drying. Cracking-width depends on thickness of layer and speed of drying.
- Accelerated drying and/or thicker layer makes wider cracks.
- Cracks are enclosing metal underneath.
- Dextrine may be washed away but has not to be washed generally.
- One may force the cracking lines with rubbing an oil paint in a contrast colour.
- It is possible to protect the whole piece with transparent acrylic coating (not water-based as long as dextrine layer underneath).
Kölner Permacoll Size available in clear & red Adhesive size for metal leaf.